Military and Veterans Services

Military and Veterans Services

DPOR stands ready to assist veterans and active-duty military personnel as they maintain or transition to civilian careers requiring professional credentials.

Active-duty military personnel and their spouses may be eligible for automatic license transfers under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.  Any license held in another state that 1) is in good standing and 2) used in the last two years can be transferred into Virginia for the duration of the military orders.  Eligible servicemembers and spouses may submit a Portability of Professional Licenses of Servicemembers and Their Spouses Application (Interactive | Static).

Spouses of active-duty military personnel assigned to a duty station in Virginia, a contiguous state, or the District of Columbia are eligible for expedited processing using the Military Spouse Expedited License Application (Interactive | Static). Retirees are also eligible within the first year of leaving the service.  A temporary, non-renewable 12-month license for certain military spouses licensed in another state who need more time to meet Virginia-specific requirements is also an option if necessary. [Section 54.1-119].

  • Military spouses also can get help covering the costs of transferring their professional licenses or certifications when they experience a permanent-change-of-station move with their service member spouse.

For honorably discharged veterans, “substantially equivalent” military training, education, or experience may be credited toward certain license requirements (pursuant to Section 54.1-118). The Virginia Department of Veteran Services does not reimburse for exam costs. However, Veterans can be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The link for the information is here: