The Fair Housing Board administers and enforces national and state fair housing laws. The laws prohibit housing discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, familial status (families with children under age 18), “elderliness” (age 55 or older), source of funds, sexual orientation, gender identity, and military status.  The Board investigates housing discrimination through the Virginia Fair Housing Office, and oversees an education-based certification program for housing providers. The General Assembly established the 12-member Fair Housing Board in 2003. The Real Estate Board remains responsible for fair housing cases involving real estate licensees or their employees.

  • Go to: Most Requested Forms (address change, criminal conviction reporting, certification request, etc.)

Applicants must read and understand the Fair Housing Certification Regulations (PDF). Application fees are not refundable. 

DPOR Boards only accept the most recent versions of the applications provided below. DPOR Boards are not responsible for processing delays associated with forms that do not conform to this requirement.

Problems opening interactive forms? 

Help for Google Chrome users here | Other troubleshooting resources here


Individual Certification Application                                   Interactive Static
Course Approval Application  Interactive Static
Instructor Application Interactive Static
Proprietary School Certification Application Interactive Static


Sign up for email notification of regulatory action and meetings by registering here.



Pending regulatory action (proposed changes, public hearings, etc.)  

Applicants for certification must complete a training program approved by the Fair Housing Board.

The Virginia Fair Housing Office provides training and outreach in support of its mandate to promote equal housing opportunities. Every year, staff travels throughout Virginia providing training to housing providers, housing consumers, and local and state officials. For more information, see Education & Exams under the Virginia Fair Housing Office topic.

Training Resources

Sign up for email notification of regulatory action and meetings by registering here

How do I contact the Board office? Will I be able to speak directly with a Board member? 

You may reach the Board office by phone at 804-367-0115, by FAX at 1-866-826-8863, or by e-mail at Additionally, if you have information that you would like to mail to the Board, please send it to:
Fair Housing Board
Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 400
Richmond, VA 23233

The Board members do not work in the Board office. They come into the Board offices for Board meetings and hearings, but are not here on a daily basis. Board office staff members can answer your questions and are trained to process all information that comes into the Board office. Please do not contact Board members directly.

Where can I get information about landlord-tenant issues?

DPOR does not administer or enforce the Landlord-Tenant Act.

The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development publishes a Landlord-Tenant Handbook (PDF).

I think I've been discriminated against. How do I go about filing a fair housing complaint?

If you think you have been discriminated against, or if you have questions about the fair housing laws, contact the Virginia Fair Housing Office.

I need to renew my certification, but I haven't received my renewal form. What do I need to do?

Send in the renewal fee, make checks payable to the Treasurer of Virginia, and include your certification number on your check. Mail this information to:
Fair Housing Board
Department of Professional & Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 400
Richmond, VA 23233

My renewal payment was one day late and I have always paid on time. Can you waive the late fee?

No. Board regulations provide a 30-day period after the expiration date in which a license may be renewed without penalty (therefore, your payment is actually 31 days late). Staff cannot waive the fee.

Board regulations state that if the requirements for renewal of a license, including receipt of the fee by the board, are not complete within 30 days of the expiration date, a late fee is required.

I did not renew on time because I didn't receive my renewal card. Do I still have to pay a late fee or reinstate my registration?

Yes. Board regulations state that failure to receive the renewal notice does not relieve the licensee of the obligation to renew.

Does the Board office use the date of receipt or the postmark date to determine whether an application or renewal was received on time?

The date the application or renewal was received in the agency determines whether it is on time, not the postmark date. If the renewal fee is received after the due date, you will be required to pay the reinstatement fee. If the reinstatement fee is received after the due date, you will be required to reapply for licensure, meeting all current requirements.

My address and/or name has changed. What do I need to do to notify the Board?

Many Boards allow you to update your ADDRESS using Online Services, so login to your personal profile to see if this is an option for your license type. The alternative is to complete, print, sign, and submit an Address Change Form to the Board office by mail. Unless updated online, all Address Change Forms must be received by the Board in writing. When providing a post office box as the mailing address, it must be accompanied by the physical address.

To report a NAME CHANGE: complete, print, sign, and submit a Name Change Form to the Board office. All name changes must be received by the Board in writing. Individual name change requests must be accompanied by a copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, or other official documentation that verifies the name change.

Board Roster

Fair Housing Board

Board Executive Director

Anika Coleman

Licensing Operations Administrator

Vanessa Degraw

Regulatory Operations Administrator

Breanne Lindsey

Member Roster

Board Member Roster

Scott Astrada | Board Chair

  • Citizen Member
  • Unexpired term ends June 30, 2025

Morton Marks III

  • Mortgage Lending Industry Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2026

John Scott

  • Contractor Representative
  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2025

Angelo Phillos

  • Architect Representative Member
  • Term ends June 30, 2027

Amanda Buyalos | Vice-Chair

  • Residential Property Management Industry Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2026

Rachael Wright

  • Residential Property Management Industry Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2027

Angela West

  • Disability Community Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2027

Steven Rivera

  • Property and Casualty Insurance Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2026

Stuart Gray Gilchrist

  • Residential Land Lease Industry Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2026

Shion Fenty

  • Citizen Member
  • First four-year term ends June 30, 2027

Dean A. Lynch

  • Local Government Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2025

Owen R. Morgan

  • Citizen Member
  • Term ends June 30, 2027

Board members are appointed by the Governor. To learn more about the gubernatorial appointment process, visit the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s website 

DPOR stands ready to assist veterans and active-duty military personnel as they maintain or transition to civilian careers requiring professional credentials.

Active-duty military personnel and their spouses having served outside the U.S., as well as certain diplomatic service members and veterans, may be eligible to receive up to a five-year extension for meeting license renewal requirements (pursuant to Section 54.1-117 of the Code of Virginia).

Spouses of active-duty military personnel assigned to a duty station in Virginia are eligible for expedited processing using the Military Spouse Expedited License Application (Interactive | Static). A temporary, non-renewable 12-month license for certain military spouses licensed in another state who need more time to meet Virginia-specific requirements is also an option if necessary. [Section 54.1-119

  • Military spouses also can get help covering the costs of transferring their professional licenses or certifications when they experience a permanent-change-of-station move with their service member spouse

For honorably discharged veterans, “substantially equivalent” military training, education, or experience may be credited toward certain license requirements (pursuant to Section 54.1-118). The Virginia Department of Veteran Services does not reimburse for exam costs. However, Veterans can be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The link for the information is here:

(Please check back periodically as we modify transactions in the future.)

Apply for a new certification

  • Individuals only 


Address change

  • Individual Certificate (0632) 
  • Instructor Certificate (0631) 
  • Proprietary School (0211) 


Renew a certification

  • Individual Certificate (0632) 
  • Instructor Certificate (0631) 
  • Proprietary School (0211)  


Reinstate an expired certificate

  • Individuals only 

Go to Online Services