Universal License Recognition
Out-of-State Applicants - Licensure by Universal License Recognition
Universal License Recognition makes it easier for qualified out-of-state applicants already holding a valid license or certification in another state to get licensed in Virginia. Individuals licensed in other states MUST APPLY for a license through the appropriate DPOR board BEFORE working in the Commonwealth.
Complete an application for licensure by Universal License Recognition (ULR) if ALL of the following apply:
- You hold a valid professional/occupational license or government certification issued from another state in a profession or occupation with a similar scope of practice.
- You have been licensed or certified in that state for at least three years;
- You have passed an examination and have met standards related to training;
- You have no disciplinary actions or pending investigations against any occupational license you have held;
- You have no disqualifying criminal record (in accordance with §54.1204); and
- You submit all fees required for your Virginia license or certification.
Application fees are, non-transferable and non-refundable.
ULR applications are listed below. If you don't see an application for your profession or occupation, contact the appropriate regulatory board.
Asbestos Project Monitors
Barbers | Barber Instructors
Master Barber | Barber Instructors
Contractors - Tradesman
Contractors - Backflow Prevention Device Worker (Operator) | Elevator Mechanics | Accessibility Mechanic
Contractors - Water Well Systems Providers
Contractors - Residential Building Energy Analysts
Contractors - Automatic Fire Sprinkler Inspectors
Cosmetologists | Cosmetology Instructors
Estheticians | Esthetics Instructors
Master Estheticians | Master Estheticians Instructors
Certified Professional Geologists
Hearing Aid Specialists
Certified Interior Designers
Nail Technicians | Nail Technician Instructors
Real Estate Brokers
Real Estate Salespersons
Professional Soil Scientists
Onsite Soil Evaluator - Journeyman Alternative | Journeyman Conventional | Master Alternative | Master Conventional
Onsite Sewage System Operator - Journeyman Alternative | Journeyman Conventional | Master Alternative | Master Conventional
Onsite Sewage System Installer - Journeyman Alternative | Journeyman Conventional | Master Alternative | Master Conventional
Tattooer |Tattooing Instructors
Permanent Cosmetic Tattooer |Permanent Cosmetic Tattoo Instructors
Master Permanent Cosmetic Tattooer
Waste Management Facility Operators
Wastewater Works Operator
Wax Technicians | Wax Technician Instructors
Professional Wetland Delineators
PDF Version (print friendly)