Real Estate Board: Pre-License Education
Salesperson Pre-License Education
In order to become licensed as a real estate salesperson by the Real Estate Board, applicants must:
- complete 60 class/clock hours of a Board-approved Pre-License Course (PDF), and
- pass the state and national portions of the examination
In order to become licensed as a real estate broker by the Real Estate Board, you must:
- complete 180 class/clock hours of Board-approved Pre-License Courses (PDF), and
- pass the state and national portions of the broker examination, and
- submit verification of experience (actively engaged as a salesperson for 36 of the 48 months preceding application).
Equivalent courses to Board-approved courses offered by an accredited university, college, community college, or other school or education institution may be accepted for broker pre-license education. Each course must be at least 45 class/clock hours or 3 semester hours. Proof of course completion, including a monitored, final written examination, is required for course approval.
You must complete a Real Estate Brokerage course. In addition to a Real Estate Brokerage course, you must complete either:
A) the three Broker-Specific Courses of Real Estate Appraisal, Real Estate Finance, and Real Estate Law; or
B) two of the Broker Specific Courses and one of the following Broker-Related Courses:
- Real Estate Abstracting
- Real Estate Contract Law
- Real Estate Economics
- Real Estate Feasibility Analysis
- Real Estate Investments
- Real Estate Math
- Real Estate Property Management
- Real Estate Property Law
- CCIM designation
- CRB designation
- GRI designation
- SIR/SIOR designation
- Business Law
- Commercial Mortgage Lending
- Land Planning and Use
- Urban Development
NOTE: Courses taken to meet continuing education requirements are not acceptable for pre-license credit in Virginia.
ANY PRINCIPLES OF REAL ESTATE COURSE TAKEN FOR LICENSURE AS A SALESPERSON IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS A BROKER PRE-LICENSE EDUCATION COURSE.
Original or certified copies of transcripts are required to verify broker pre-license courses.
Chart of Broker Pre-License Education Credit (PDF) for reciprocal applicants from other states.
Important Notice Concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19) - PSI Test Centers in Virginia
The CIB link is: REAL ESTATE CANDIDATE INFORMATION BULLETIN
DPOR is now offering another two fingerprint service options; PSI exam sites or Fieldprint services.
- PSI exam sites can provide fingerprint services from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. No appointment necessary - https://www.psionline.com to find a location nearest you.
- Fieldprint offers sites throughout Virginia where license applicants can go to have their fingerprints taken via Livescan.
|Frequency and Dates of Exam||Daily
|Deadline for Application||No application deadline.
Allow two weeks for processing of exam application.
|Exam Fees (paid directly to PSI)||$60|
Johnson City, TN*
*NOTE: Test sites located outside Va. are not able to do electronic fingerprinting.
|Questions About Exam Scheduling or Registration?||Contact PSI at (855) 340-3910 or https://test-takers.psiexams.com/vare|
|Other Questions?||Contact the Board office at (804) 367-8526 or REBoard@dpor.virginia.gov.|